In 1926, Cecil Usher, a young graduate of McGill University, joined his friend, William Richter, to form an accounting practice in downtown Montréal. Today, over ninety years later, our firm is the 9th largest accounting and consulting firm in Canada.
Richter’s standards of excellence were established by our founding partners. These standards ensure that our clients receive the highest levels of competence, professionalism, integrity and service in every aspect of our work. While the depth and breadth of our services have expanded considerably over the years and our clients are now active well beyond Canada’s borders, Richter’s commitment to these standards is as strong as ever.
Like any business in operation for almost a century, our firm has greatly evolved over the years. The history of our firm can be measured by a number of important milestones:
- 1926: The firm was founded. Its first corporate name was Richter, Usher & Co. This changed a number of times over the years, eventually becoming Richter.
- 1962: Richter became the first independent accounting firm to sign a prospectus for a public offering in Canada.
- 1971: Richter opens Richter & Partners, the firm’s insolvency and corporate restructuring division.
- 1995: Richter Charitable Foundation is created. To date, RCF has given over half a million dollars per year to worthy causes and organizations.
- 1998: Richter Consulting Inc. – the financial restructuring division for US companies – launches in the US, with an office in Chicago, IL.
- 1999: Richter Wealth Management is founded; known today as Richter Family Office.
- 2007: Richter’s “Go Green” program is launched to support environmental initiatives.
- 2008: Richter receives its first “Top Employer” award – the first of many to come! The first official Richter Community Day is also held.
- 2009: The firm Chamberland Hodge joins Richter.
- 2012: Richter adopts a fresh image with a renewed branding, a reaffirmed personality and a simplified corporate name: Richter.
- 2013: Richter officially expands into the Toronto market; merging with an existing accounting firm in the Yonge & Eglington area and opening a Consulting division on Bay Street.
- 2016: Richter’s Toronto team moves into one unified space on Bay Street, in the heart of Canada’s busiest financial district.
Today, more than 500 partners, professionals and administrative staff make up our firm. We are all driven by the same passion: to see the companies we serve grow and succeed in their pursuit of excellence.