Scott Binns consults on all aspects of corporate and personal tax planning and Canadian income tax compliance matters, including issues relating to trusts, partnerships and individuals.Scott specializes in two areas in particular: estate planning – providing families and individuals tailored services in the area of estate administration – and in crypto-currency, which includes knowledge relating to the mining and investing of digital currencies as well as financing by way of ICOs (Initial Coin Offerings).
As an approachable professional, Scott uses his strong technical skills to relay complex tax concepts. Scott combines his areas of expertise to create a centralized and holistic work approach that puts his clients’ needs at the center of every engagement, and helps ensure the long-term prosperity of companies and families.
Scott’s technical expertise is recognized by his peers, both at Richter and outside of the firm. He plays an important role in the Richter’s tax training programs, having initiated the firm’s onboarding tax program for new employees, serves as one of Richter’s HR partners, and is a leader in the firm’s tech initiatives.
Fields of expertise
- Corporate reorganizations
- Estate planning
- Canadian income tax compliance: Corporations, Trusts, Partnerships and Individuals
- Lecturer, Ordre des comptables professionnels agréés du Québec, 2013
- Lecturer, Level I In-depth Tax Course, CPA Canada, 2011
- Leadership Diploma, McGill University, 2010
- Levels I-III In-depth Tax Course, Corporate Reorganization, CPA Canada, 2003-2008
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA, CA), 2001
- Graduate Diploma in Accountancy, Concordia University, 2000
- B.Com, Accounting and Finance, Concordia University, 1998
Professional and Community Involvement
- Organizing committee for the CTF’s estate planning conference - Member, since 2017
- CPA Canada - Common Final Examination Evaluator
- CPA Canada - Part I In-depth Taxaction course - Instructional leader, since 2002
- Ordre des comptables professionnels agrées du Québec - Course leader
- Canadian Tax Foundation (CTF) - Training programs development member, since 2002
- CPA Canada - Member
- Speaker. “The New Trust Rules: More than just losing graduated rates”, Canadian Tax Foundation, Technical Seminar, February 2016