Jean-François Coutu joined Richter more than 18 years ago. During his career, he had the opportunity to supervise several teams within the Assurance division and take part in various engagements involving companies in the real estate and manufacturing industries. He then joined the Tax division and has developed in-depth expertise in Canadian corporate taxation, mainly with regard to medium-sized private companies.
Jean-François excels in managing complex engagements and in tax and estate planning, and plays a role in various tax assignments relating to mergers and acquisitions of enterprises. His strength resides in his ability to identify tax risks and opportunities and in issuing effective recommendations and business advice.
Fields of expertise
- Business mergers and acquisitions
- Estate planning
- Real Estate
Professional and community involvement
- Groupe Reso International Corp., Brossard division - Member since 2012
- Canadian Tax Foundation (CTF) - Member since 2004
- Ordre des comptables professionnels agréés du Québec - Since 2002
- LL.M. (Master of Laws), Taxation option, HEC Montréal, 2007
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA, CA), 2002
- Graduate Diploma in Public Accountancy, HEC Montréal, 2001
- Université Laval,B.B.A., 1999
- Winner of the Jeff K. Jutzi Tutor Award. Tutorial Leader for the In-Depth Tax Courses of the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants (CICA), 2012.
- Speaker. Opportunités de planification et problématiques d’application découlant de la nouvelle législation sur l’imposition des dividendes déterminés”, Journée d’études fiscales of the Canadian Tax Foundation (CTF), June 2007.
- Speaker. “Opportunités de planification et problématiques d’application découlant de la nouvelle législation sur l’imposition des dividendes déterminés”, Young Practitioners Committee of the Canadian Tax Foundation (CTF), November 2007.
- Speaker. “Réorganisation et conséquences sur le CRTG et le CRTR”, Nouvelles réalités en matière de réorganisations corporatives et achat/vente d’entreprises seminar, Association de la planification fiscale et financière (APFF), March 2008.
- Speaker. “Aspects fiscaux entourant une proposition et une restructuration”, Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants conference on insolvency, restructuring and bankruptcy, October 2010.
- Speaker. “Présomption de résidence des fiducies étrangères”, presented during the Colloque sur les fiducies of the Association de la planification fiscale et financière (APFF), February 2013.
- Tutor. Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants (CICA) – In-Depth Tax Course, Part II, October 2011. Received “Best Tutor” award.
- Trainer. Association de la planification fiscale et financière (APFF) – series of applied tax courses for self-employed workers, January 2013.
- Trainer. Revenue Québec – series of applied tax courses for self-employed workers, January 2013.
- Interviewee. "Planification en prévision des impôts" (video recording), on Canal Argent, November 24, 2011.
- Interviewee. "Épargner en 2012: REER, CELI, REEE" (video recording), on Canal Argent, January 5, 2012.
- Quoted in the article by Yvon Laprade, "Il vaut mieux consulter avant de faire le grand saut," Le Devoir, February 1, 2012, p.B.6.
- Quoted in the article by Dominique Froment, "35 conseils pour réduire vos impôts," Les Affaires, March 17, 2012.