Martin Gilbert has been practicing in the commodity tax sector for nearly 20 years. Before joining Richter, he worked for a large telecommunications company as well as for a major accounting firm. He has co-chaired the Tax Executives Institute’s (TEI) liaison committee in addition to being invited as a guest speaker for the Association de planification fiscale et financière (APFF), the TEI, the Canadian Tax Foundation as well as CPA Canada (formerly the CICA).
Martin has been involved in a number of reorganizations cases and worked on major transactions, including the purchase and sale of assets and due diligence work, and has acquired extensive tax audit experience.
Martin joined Richter’s tax team, providing consulting services and assisting clients in planning transactions and managing tax audits, in particular for commodity taxes.
Fields of expertise
- Consulting services
- Mergers & acquisitions
- Tax audits
- Private health
- Real estate
- CPA Advanced HST/GST Financial Services Course, 2014
- CICA PST In-Depth, 2005
- Sales & Use Tax School, Institute for Professionals in Taxation (IPT), 2003
- CICA GST In-Depth, 1999
- Licence to practice law, Quebec Bar Association, 1996
- Quebec Bar Association professional training school, 1995
- Bachelor’s degree in law, Université Laval, 1994
Professional and community involvement
- Canadian Tax Foundation - Member of the planning committee since 2013
- Canadian Bar Association – Member since 2013
- Association de planification fiscale et financière (APFF) – Member since 2006
- Quebec Bar Association – Member since 1996
- Tax Executives Institute (TEI) – Member 2008 – 2013
- Tax Executives Institute (TEI) Liaison Committee – Co-chairman, Commodity taxes 2010 – 2013
- Co-guest speaker. “Agent, Nominees and Intermediaries – GST/HST & QST,” APFF commodity tax symposium held at L’Estérel, 2016.
- With Catherine Dickner. “Landlord/Tenant work-out arrangements: Important GST/HST and QST consequences”, Espace Montréal magazine, Vol. 24 # 3, 2015.
- Guest Speaker. “Corporate Financing – GST/HST and QST aspects to consider,”Canadian Tax Foundation, 2014.
- Co-guest speaker. “Placement Agencies & Subcontracting – Entitlement to ITC and ITR,” APFF commodity tax symposium held in Montebello, 2014.
- With Catherine Dickner. “Nominee Corporations : Are You Ready for January 1st, 2015 ?,” Espace Montréal magazine, Vol. 23 # 3, 2014.
- With Catherine Dickner. “Nominee Corporations: Are You Ready for January 1st, 2015 ?,” Stratège, APFF, Vol. 19 # 5, 2014.
- Co-guest speaker. “Cloud computing,” APFF commodity tax symposium held in Montebello, 2013.
- Author. “Le mandat de perception des taxes à la consommation : confusion trop fréquente du rôle et des obligations des parties !,” Association de planification fiscale et financière publication, Vol. 33, # 4, 2013.
- Panelist. Discussion of GST/QST harmonization measures, CICA Commodity Tax Symposium in Ottawa, 2012.
- Co-guest speaker. “Documentation requirements – practical problems and possible solutions,” APFF commodity tax symposium held in La Malbaie, 2012.
- Work towards a Bachelor’s degree published in the magazine for Université Laval law students (RJEEUL), 1995.