Phil Manel has over 30 years of experience in providing services to companies and financial institutions regarding distressed financial situations. As a CPA, CA and Licensed Insolvency Trustee, he has in-depth knowledge of the needs of both debtors and lenders. Although most of his services relate to the manufacturing, distribution and retail sectors, he has broad experience which includes numerous engagements in diverse industries, “from A to Z”. Phil has been involved in several cross-border situations (USA/Canada) as well as other foreign jurisdictions. He takes a practical and creative approach to solving problems.
Phil is involved in mandates that include reviewing secured lender’s borrowing bases, business plans and financial forecasts, assisting in turnarounds, reorganizations, realizations and litigation support.
- Ordre des comptables professionnels agréés du Québec
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of Ontario
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Canadian Association of Insolvency Restructuring Professionals (CAIRP)
- Insolvency Institute of Canada
- Quebec Insolvency Practitioners Association
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners
- Turnaround Management Association
- B.Com., McGill University, 1971
- Chartered Professional Accountant - Canada (CPA, CA), 1973
- Chartered Insolvency and Restructuring Professional (CIRP), 1979
- Licensed Insolvency Trustee (Federal License), 1979
- Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE), 1993
- Certified Public Accountant - USA (CPA), 1998
Publications and Media
- Quoted in the article by Jay Bryan, “Darwinian brutality at work in Nortel bonuses,” The Gazette, March 21, 2009, p. C1.
- Interview with Phil Manel, “Bankruptcy protection nuts and bolts,” The Gazette, February 20, 2009, p. B2
- Author. “The Wage Earner Protection Act,” RSM Richter Chamberland, September 15, 2008
- Quoted in the article by Robert Gibbens, “Creditors approve St. Genevieve, KWG plans,” National Post, May 1, 1998, p. 7
- Quoted in the article by The Daily News, “Valdi discount chain's in bankruptcy, closed,” The Daily News, April 23, 1995, p. 38
On numerous occasions, Phil has served as an expert witness and lectured to lawyers, bankers and other professionals on bankruptcy, insolvency and other reorganization issues.