David Pelletier has been providing financial advisory services to Richter’s clients for more than 15 years. Over the course of his career, he has acquired expertise in the areas of business valuation, litigation support and forensic accounting, and mergers as well as acquisitions/divestitures. He obtained his Chartered Business Valuator (CBV) designation in 2006.
David has conducted valuations of small, medium and large enterprises on behalf of stakeholders, including shareholders, creditors and directors. He was involved in the preparation of fairness opinions pursuant to mandates received by independent committees of public companies, as well as the preparation of formal valuations pursuant to Rule 61-101 of the Ontario Securities Commission (OSC) and the Autorité des marchés financiers (“AMF”), in Quebec, concerning the protection of minority security holders in special transactions. He was also involved in the preparation of fairness opinions or valuations for proceedings under either the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act (CCAA) or the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act (BIA).
David has provided business valuation advisory services to several clients, including the AMF and some institutional clients with respect to Business Valuation issues and reviewed several investments, including financial instruments.
Moreover, David has acquired extensive experience in litigation support, including the assessment of business value and quantification of financial prejudice, and has co-written expert reports on these matters. He has also served as an expert witness before the Courts a few times, including the Quebec Superior Court and the Tribunal administratif du Québec.
In addition, David has lead several due diligence mandates of investment funds, notably in the venture capital sector, with respect to management practices, governance and conflict of interests mechanisms, and profitability.
Finally, David has managed several business divestitures, acting as an advisor to the sellers to determine the value of their shares, negotiate the financial terms of the transaction and coordinate the due diligence process.
Academic Background and Professionnal Affiliations
- Member of the Canadian Institute of Chartered Business Valuators (CICBV), since 2006
- Master of Business Administration (MBA Coop), 1998
- Member of the Québec Bar Association, since 1996
- Bachelor of Law (LL.B.), Université de Montréal, 1995
- Vice-President, Richter, since 2011
- Senior Associate, Richter, 2008 - 2010
- Financial Analyst and Associate, Richter, 1999-2008
- MBA Internship, Hydro-Québec CapiTech Inc. 1998
- Articling student, Desjardins Ducharme Stein Monast – 1996
Presentations and Publications
- Training sessions on business valuation at various law firms for practitioners specializing in commercial litigation, corporate law and taxation.
- Speaker at two Canadian Institute workshops on business valuation for non-financial professionals and managers(Montreal, October 14, 2008 and Quebec, November 21, 2008).
- Co-editor of Let’s Talk Numbers, a newsletter launched by Richter’s Business Advisory Services team in January 2012.
- “The Secrets of Success to Selling a Business,” Let’s Talk Numbers, November 2013.
- In collaboration with Andrew Michelin, “Minority shareholders: Is the value of your interest the one you expected?” Let’s Talk Numbers, November 2012.
- “Céder sa société : l’argent ou la pérennité de l’entreprise avant tout?” Génération INC. (online), October 31, 2012.
- “Entrepreneurs and the succession issue,” Let’s Talk Numbers, January 2012.
- Lambert-Chan, Marie. “David Pelletier, expert en evaluation d’entreprises,” La Presse.ca (online), October 28, 2013.
- Hacker-B, Daphnée. “L’avocat dans le bergerie,” Droit-inc. (online), January 31, 2013.