Thoughtful, accountable, considerate.
People are at the core of Jacinthe Marquis’ practice. Working with high net worth families and individuals, Jacinthe attends to financial needs through all stages of life and advises clients on a variety of topics, including fulfilling cross-border tax requirements, as well as family, estate and legacy tax planning. Whenever she’s around, her clients just breathe a little easier knowing they are in capable and caring hands.
Jacinthe started her career as a Canadian tax practitioner guiding high net worth individuals and families before transitioning to U.S. tax, allowing her to integrate both systems of taxation and further developing her abilities to guide families more broadly. With this in-depth experience Jacinthe is able to help clients navigate the complexities of living, doing business and managing wealth across the U.S. border.
Jacinthe assists her clients in identifying and finding solutions to their concerns – from the simplest to the most challenging. She does so with diligence, versatility, resourcefulness, and… a hint of intuition! She works in collaboration with various other professionals and groups within Richter including Family Account Management, Richter Family Office and the Estates group, to deliver excellence through comprehensive solutions.
A great listener with a natural ability to connect with people, Jacinthe is a firm believer in developing clear communication channels with her clients to promote honest and transparent working relationships. Her no-surprise approach means she delivers concise and practical advice, always with authenticity and integrity, which her clients find truly invaluable.
Fields of expertise
- U.S. personal, trust and estate income tax
- U.S. estate tax
- Cross-border personal, estate and post-mortem planning
- Family tax planning
- LL.M. (Master’s degree in taxation), HEC Montréal, 2003
- B.Com (Honours in Accounting program), McGill University, 2002
- Recipient of the Greer Prize as well as the SB/D&T Award
- Dean’s Honour List Student for all of her years of study
Professional and community involvement
- American Chamber of Commerce (AmCham) – Member and guest speaker, since 2014
- Association de planification fiscale et financière (APFF) – Member and guest speaker, since 2003
- Speaker. Seminar to financial planners and advisors (U.S. tax component), co-presenter with Richter colleagues, Montréal, June 2017.
- Speaker. Conference on estate, trust and corporate planning involving U.S. residents, co-presenter with Robert Chayer, Montréal, May 2016.
- Speaker. American Chamber of Commerce (AmCham). Conference on U.S. tax issues for people working in the U.S., co-presenter with Andrew Cumming (Cumming & Partners), Toronto, March 2016.
- Speaker. Canadian Bar Association (CBA). Conference on estate planning involving U.S. residents, co-presenter with Robert Chayer, Montréal, January 2016.
- Interview by L’Actualité for an article on the taxation of international inheritances, November 2015.
- Speaker. American Chamber of Commerce (AmCham). Opening remarks at the Thanksgiving dinner before the Honorable Bruce A. Heyman, U.S. Ambassador to Canada, Toronto, November 2015.
- Writer. Submission to the U.S. National Taxpayer Advocate regarding technical issues and prejudices caused by the Passive Foreign Investment Company (PFIC) rules, September 2015.
- Speaker. Chambre de commerce Québec–Floride (CCQF). Conference on tax aspects of real estate in Florida, co-presenter with Robert Chayer, Montréal, November 2014.
- Speaker. National Bank of Canada. Two conferences covering U.S. tax issues of interest to snowbirds, Fort Lauderdale, January 2014.
- Speaker. Association de planification fiscale et financière (APFF). Conference on the acquisition of real estate in the U.S., co-presenter with Robert Chayer, Laval, November 2013.
- Speaker. National Bank of Canada. Presentations addressing tax issues inherent in acquiring a Florida residence, Brossard, September 2013.
- Speaker. Association de planification fiscale et financière (APFF). Conference on U.S. reporting obligations and estate taxes, co-presenter with Robert Chayer, Sherbrooke, January 2013.
- Speaker. U.S. tax seminar given for consultants and executives. Co-presenter with Robert Chayer, Montréal, November 2012.
- Interviewed. Radio Shalom CJRS Montréal, Money and Business. 30-minute radio interview with Robert Chayer addressing various topical U.S. tax-related issues, November 2012.
- Speaker. RBC Wealth Management. Presentation on current U.S. tax issues, co-presenter with Robert Chayer, Montréal, October 2012.