Creative, optimistic, fair.
Paul takes a fair and dedicated approach to helping his clients with their complex business challenges, while always trying to find the positive side of any issue.
Your business is unique. The service and support you receive should be just as specialized. Paul takes a fair and dedicated approach to helping his clients with their complex business challenges, while always trying to find the positive side of any issue.
A natural leader who is looked up to by his colleagues and clients alike, Paul has been involved in financial advisory services for domestic and international clients for over 15 years. He is a specialist in supporting his clients with services ranging from M&A strategy advisory and due diligence to crisis and risk management, performance improvement, financing, cost reduction, change management, restructuring and turnaround consulting, and investigative and forensic accounting. He is also very active in the Canadian gaming industry, having advised a number of government clients and private sector clients on modernization and due diligence matters.
In terms of industries and precedent-setting files, it’s hard to find someone with a broader range of experience. Paul has led several high-profile, complex restructurings, and served as an expert witness in Canadian and U.S. proceedings.
Fields of expertise
- Strategic and operational business planning
- Crisis management and restructuring
- Financial modeling/planning and risk management
- Revenue/profit and cash flow optimization
- Divestitures and asset realizations
- Financial services
- Life sciences
- Licensed Insolvency Trustee
- Fellow of INSOL, 2009
- Gold Medalist National Insolvency Exam – J.L. Biddell Award, 2005
- Diploma in Investigative & Forensic Accounting, University of Toronto, 2004
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA, CA), 2001
- Honours Bachelor of Commerce, Accounting, Queen’s University, 1998
Professional and community involvement
- Canadian Association of Insolvency & Restructuring Professionals (CAIRP) – member since 2006
- Canadian Association of Investigative & Forensic Accountants (IFA) – member since 2004
- Participant, World Bank Insolvency and Creditor/Debtor Regimes taskforce discussions on insolvency reform, Washington, D.C., September 2016
- Co-authored a paper for the Judicial Training component sponsored by INSOL International and the World Bank – 2018
- CCAA Monitor for Japan Airlines in Canada, as part of their global restructuring.
- CCAA Monitor for Comstock Engineering.
- Court-appointed Receiver and Chapter 15 foreign representative of Thane International Inc.
- Proposal Trustee of Shop.ca in their restructuring and sales process under the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act.
- Court-appointed Receiver of HMV Canada.
- Advisor to the Special Committee of Sino-Forest’s Board of Directors.
- Out of court restructuring advisor to companies and board of directors in numerous industries including, amongst others, healthcare, retail, foundry/steel, manufacturing, automotive and gaming.