Focused, dedicated, calm.
An expert in retail and a general fan of fashion, Phil is one of the few people in the firm who can pull off matching baby blue with yellow! Despite his vivacious wardrobe, Phil is very traditional in his work approach. He is loyal, dedicated, and disciplined.
Having developed solid skills in a diverse range of consulting services over the years, Phil provides advice to wholesalers, distributors and retailers. His areas of expertise include corporate reorganizations and restructuring, short- and long-term financing, mergers and acquisitions, open-to-buy and inventory management, retail organization structure and compensation, as well as metrics related to store profitability.
Phil has been with the firm for 40 years. His audit and assurance practice has primarily focused on the retail industry since 1987. He is one of our foremost retail consulting experts, which assists retail management in identifying, analyzing and providing meaningful and practical solutions to the problems arising in today’s highly volatile retail environment.
Proactive, strategic, and responsive, Phil imbues every mandate with a sense of calm efficiency.
Fields of expertise
- Corporate reorganizations and restructuring
- Short- and long-term financing for retailers
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Inventory control and management (open-to-buy)
- Retail organization structure
- Store profitability
- Specialty apparel and footwear
- Hard goods retail
- Branded and private label merchandise
- Retail and real estate
- Manufacturing and distribution
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA, CA), 1979
- Diploma in Public Accountancy, McGill University, 1978
- B. Com., McGill University, 1977
Professional and community involvement
- Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario – Member
- Retail Council of Canada – Member
- Conseil québécois du commerce de détail – Member
- National Retail Federation (US) – Member
- Quoted in an article. “Canada’s retail landscape is ‘going to be rough’,” The Globe and Mail, February 2012.
- Quoted in the article by Sheila McGovern. “Retailers had grim holiday 2009 looks dicey. U.S. giants slash earnings forecasts,” The Gazette, p. B1, January 2009.
- Quoted in the article by Sheila McGovern. “Reitmans’ holiday sales slip Same-store data ‘more or less in line with expectations’,” The Gazette, p. B3, January 2009.
- Quoted in the article by Isabelle Grégoire. “Les habits neufs de Reitmans,” Revue Commerce, vol. 106, n˚ 12, p. 50, December 2005.
- Quoted in the article by Martin Jolicoeur. “Les ventes de Noël devraient être meilleures,” Les Affaires, p. 16, November 2003.