Attentive listener, strategic thinker, skillful negotiator.
Raymond Massi is a progressive traditionalist with broad business knowledge. He blends his 40 plus years of experience with his grasp of today’s fast-evolving business environment and relates easily to the multi-generational mix of individuals that currently operate within today’s business community. He is passionate about life, his family and the individuals he interacts with and is always there to assist. Raymond’s favorite saying “Take life and work seriously but don’t take yourself too seriously.”
Raymond has more than 40 years of business experience covering corporate finance, acquisitions and divestitures, financial restructuring and reorganization, performance and profitability enhancement. He is also well versed in dealing with financial distress situations and litigations and is a recognized court expert in both areas.
Raymond is a recently retired senior partner of the Firm who continues to play an active role by providing his insight and expertise as special counsel. He regularly advises public and private corporations operating in a variety of sectors on strategic, operational and transactional issues.
Raymond is very present and well known within the Montréal community, not only because of his business activities but also due to his philanthropic endeavours. The two traits that best exemplify the true nature of Raymond are his generosity with his time and the selfless in his approach towards others.
Fields of expertise
- Distress management
- Transaction advisory
- Real estate and REITs
- Pharmaceutical and health sector
- Telecommunication and technology
- Public sector
- Financial services
- Investment and infrastructure funds
- Manufacturing and distribution
- Oil and gas
- Licensed Insolvency Trustee (LIT), 1986
- Chartered Insolvency and Restructuring Professional (CIRP), 1986
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA, CA), 1977
- Institute of Corporate Directors (ICD.D), Director
- B. Com., Concordia University, 1975
Professional and community involvement
- Cedars Cancer Institute – Board of Directors, 2012-2016
- Insolvency Institute of Canada – Member, since 2007
- Marie-Clarac Hospital Foundation – Governor, since 2004
- Sarah Cook Fund Cedars Cancer Institute – Founding member of the Board of Directors, 2001-2012
- Montréal Port Authority – Member of the Board of Directors and Audit Committee, 2001-2007
- Italian-Canadian Community Foundation – Governor, since 1990
- Santa Cabrini Hospital – Chairman of the Board of Directors, 1988-2000
- Canadian Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Professionals – Member, since 1986
- Canadian Italian Business and Professional Association Montréal – Past President and Governor, since 1985
- Italian Chamber of Commerce in Canada – Member, 1985-2015
- Speaker. “Les nouvelles tendances en matière de financement de détresse,” presented before the Canadian Institute, October 2012.
- Speaker. “The Eye of the Storm: An In-House Perspective on Corporate Restructurings,” presented before the Canadian Corporate Counsel Association (CCCA), April 2012.
- Speaker. “The Collapse of the Norshield Financial Group,” presented before the Ontario Bar Association, February 2012
- Speaker. “La gestion des risques dans le marché actuel de la location : les éléments que vous devez connaître,” Montreal Real Estate Strategy & Leasing Conference, April 2011.
- Speaker. “Cross-Border Transactions – Additional Considerations and Particular Challenges,” presented to Insight Information, June 2010.
- Quoted in an article by Gilbert Leduc, “ExelTech Aérospatiale : un peu d’espoir pour la capitale,” Cyberpresse (website) and Le Soleil, May 2010.
- Quoted in an article by Marie Tison, “ExelTech est prête à s’envoler aux États-Unis,” La Presse (Affaires), May 2010.
- Quoted in an article by Francis Vailles, “Affaire Norshield – Une vaste tromperie, conclut la CVMO,” La Presse (Affaires), March 2010.
- Quoted in an article by Francis Vailles, “Affaire Norshield – Plus de 10 millions $ d’honoraires pour récupérer les fonds,” Le Nouvelliste. January 2010.
- Speaker. “Analyse pratique du Programme de protection des salariés – Un an plus tard,” conference presented before the Canadian Institute, October 2009.
- Speaker. “Strategies for Bankruptcy, Insolvency and Managing Tenants in Distress,” Montreal Real Estate Strategy & Leasing Conference, March 2009.
- Quoted in an article by François Desjardins, “Nortel invoque la protection de la Cour – Préoccupé, Ottawa n’écarte pas la possibilité d’une aide financière,” Le Devoir, January 2009.
- Speaker. “Naviguer en eaux troubles : le rôle des administrateurs de sociétés insolvables,” presented before the Canadian Institute, October 2008.
- Speaker. “Acquisition et vente de sociétés en difficultés financières – Processus de restructuration et de vente,” speech given at a symposium organized by McCarthy Tétrault, June 2008.
- Author. “Selling a Distressed Business as a Going Concern,” Rebuilding Success Magazine, spring 2008.
- Financial advisor to a luxury goods retailer with operations in Canada and the USA under various banners to renegotiate their banking agreements, raise additional working capital and improve profitability through overhead rationalization.
- Financial advisor to Laura Shoppe, a large Canadian women’s retailer that was under CCAA.