Stéphane Marcassa has more than 20 years’ experience in the field of commodity taxes. He advises clients regarding their operations and transactions and represents them before tax authorities for issues relating to GST, HST, QST, provincial and U.S. sales taxes, customs, fuel taxes, excise tax and other indirect taxes. Before joining Richter in 2017 as partner, he practiced at a tax law firm and a Big Four accounting firm in Montreal.
Stéphane supports his clients in all commodity tax aspects of their business, including assessment of business processes and operations, audit defense and tax litigation, mergers and acquisitions, due diligence and cross-border taxes. As part of the various mandates he leads, Stéphane is continuously guided by the client’s interest and is committed to providing exceptional service adapted to the realities of the organizations he supports.
Stéphane has been a member of the Barreau du Québec (Québec Bar) since 1993 and holds a graduate diploma in taxation from McGill University. He is also a member of the Association de planification fiscale et financière (APFF), the Canadian Bar Association and the Canadian Tax Foundation. He has written several articles that have been published in the CCH Publications’ monthly newsletter and is a frequent speaker at conferences and symposiums hosted by the APFF, the Tax Executives Institute, CPA Canada and other organizations.
Fields of expertise
- Commodity tax advisory services
- Planning and compliance
- Cross-border transactions
- Tax litigation
- Real estate
- Pharmaceutical and health sector
- Telecommunication and technology
- Public sector
- Financial services
- Graduate Diploma in Taxation, McGill University, 2001
- Bachelor of Law, Université de Montréal, 1992
Professional and community involvement
- Association de planification fiscale et financière (APFF) - Member and speaker
- Canadian Tax Foundation (CTF) - Member
- Canadian Bar Association - Member
- Speaker. APFF commodity tax symposium, 2013 – 2017
- Speaker. Commodity Tax Symposium, CPA Canada, 2016
- Speaker. National conference hosted by the Tax Executives Institute, Inc., 2016
- Speaker. Conference hosted by the Association of Corporate Counsel, 2016
- Author. Articles published in the CCH Publications’ monthly newsletter, 2005 – 2015