Stéphane Marcassa has more than 20 years’ experience in the field of commodity taxes. As a tax partner at Richter, he advises clients regarding transactions and represents them before tax authorities for tax issues, particularly questions pertaining to GST, HST, QST, provincial and U.S. sales taxes, customs, fuel taxes, excise tax and other indirect taxes.
Me Marcassa supports his clients in all commodity tax aspects of their business, such as audit defense, assessment objection notices, assessments of business processes and operations, mergers and acquisitions, due diligence and cross-border taxes. He ensures compliance of commodity tax matters, optimizing them such that his clients benefit from all the reimbursements they are entitled to.
As part of the various mandates he leads, Me Marcassa is continuously guided by the client’s interest and is committed to providing exceptional service adapted to the realities of the organizations he supports.
Me Marcassa has been a member of the Barreau du Québec (Québec Bar) since 1993 and holds a graduate diploma in taxation from McGill University. He is also a member of the Association de planification fiscale et financière (APFF), the Canadian Bar Association and the Canadian Tax Foundation. He has written several articles that have been published in the CCH Publications’ monthly newsletter and has delivered lectures at conferences and symposiums hosted by the APFF, the Tax Executives Institute, CPA Canada and other organizations.
Fields of expertise
- Services-conseils en taxes à la consommation
- Planification et conformité
- Transactions transfrontalières
- Litiges fiscaux
Professional and community involvement
- Association de planification fiscale et financière (APFF) - Membre et conférencier
- Fondation canadienne de fiscalité (FCF) - Membre
- Association du Barreau canadien - Membre
- Conférencier, Symposium des taxes à la consommation de l’APFF De 2013 à 2017
- Conférencier, Commodity Tax Symposium, CPA Canada 2016
- Conférencier, Conférence nationale de l’Institut des cadres fiscalistes (Tax Executive Institute Inc.) 2016
- Conférencier, Conférence de l’Association of Corporate Counsel 2016
- Auteur, articles publiés dans la lettre mensuelle des Publications CCH De 2005
- Diplôme d’études supérieures en fiscalité, Université McGill, 2001
- Baccalauréat en droit, Université de Montréal, 1992