Accessible, meticulous, empathetic.
Taxation comprises many complex facets, and decision-makers are well advised to surround themselves with seasoned resources to help them make sense of it all. In Jean-François, you’ll find an attentive expert who’s able to explain complex questions clearly and cogently so that you can make informed decisions.
With close to 20 years of law firm experience, Jean-François has worked on a broad range of tax mandates, including corporate mergers and acquisitions. He also provides advice on tax and estate planning, business transfers and corporate reorganizations.
Diligent yet practical, Jean-François believes entrepreneurs deserve that as much effort be exerted to simplify their tasks as they put into running their business. That’s why he loves putting his expertise and passion for business to work for his clients.
Fields of expertise
- Business acquisitions and sales
- Corporate reorganizations
- Estate planning
- Real estate
- Retail trade
- M. in taxation, HEC Montréal, 2007
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA, CA), 2002
- D.E.S.S. in Public Accounting, HEC Montréal, 2001
- B.A.A., Laval University, 1999
Professional and community involvement
- Canadian Tax Foundation (CTF) – Member, since 2004
- Association de planification fiscale et financière (APFF) – Member, since 2004
- Quebec Chartered Professional Accountants Order – Member, since 2002
- Recipient of the Jeff K. Jutzi Award – Tutor. Head tutor for the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants (CICA) In-Depth Tax Course Program (now CPA Canada), 2012.
- Speaker: Opportunités de planification et problématiques d’application découlant de la nouvelle législation sur l’imposition des dividendes déterminés (Planning opportunities and application issues arising from the new eligible dividend tax legislation), Canadian Tax Foundation (CTF) tax study day, June 2007.
- Speaker: Réorganisation et conséquences sur le CRTG et le CRTR (Reorganization and its consequences on the GRIP and LRIP), Nouvelles réalités en matière de réorganisations corporatives et achat/vente d’entreprises (New realities in corporate reorganizations and business purchase/sale symposium), Association de planification fiscale et financière (APFF), March 2008.
- Speaker: Aspects fiscaux entourant une proposition et une restructuration (Tax aspects of a proposal and a restructuring) (insolvency, restructuring and bankruptcy), Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants, October 2010.
- Speaker: Présomption de résidence des fiducies étrangères (Foreign trust presumption of residence) at the Association de la planification fiscale et financière (APFF) trust conference, February 2013.
- Tutor: Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants (CICA) – In-Depth Tax Course, Part II, October 2011.
- Trainer: Association de la planification fiscale et financière (APFF) – series of applied tax courses for the self-employed, January 2013.
- Trainer: Revenu Québec – series of applied taxation courses for the self-employed, January 2013.
- Planification en prévision des impôts (Income tax planning) (video), Argent channel interview, November 24, 2011.
- Épargner en 2012 : REER, CELI, REEE (Saving in 2012: RRSP, TFSA, RESP) (video), Argent channel interview, January 5, 2012.
- Quoted in Yvon Laprade’s article Il vaut mieux consulter avant de faire le grand saut (Seek advice before making the leap), Le Devoir, February 1, 2012, p. B.6.
- Quoted in Dominique Froment’s article 35 conseils pour réduire vos impôts (35 tips to pay less income tax), Les Affaires, March 17, 2012.