Caring, humorous, confident.
‘Unique’ is a term often used in relation to Scott. Easygoing, personable, and knowledgeable, he is a captivating public speaker and a driven professional. He is also funny, dependable, adaptable and loyal.
Scott consults on all aspects of emerging technologies and their related tax implications, as well as corporate and personal tax planning and Canadian income tax compliance matters, including issues relating to trusts, partnerships and individuals. He is a specialist in two areas in particular: estate planning – providing families and individuals tailored services in the area of estate administration – and crypto-currency, which includes knowledge relating to the mining and investing of digital currencies as well as financing by way of ICOs (Initial Coin Offerings).
Scott combines his areas of expertise to create a centralized and holistic work approach that puts his clients’ needs at the centre of every engagement, thereby helping to ensure the long-term prosperity of both companies and families.
Scott plays an important role in Richter’s tax training programs, having initiated the firm’s onboarding tax program for new employees, and serves as one of Richter’s HR partners. He also leads Richter neo, an internal, incubator-style committee for developing new emerging tech, ideas and initiatives.
Very much involved in his community, Scott is generous with his time and is always ready to stop and say hello. He is the very definition of a people-person.
Fields of expertise
- Corporate reorganizations
- Estate planning
- Canadian income tax compliance: Corporations, Trusts, Partnerships and Individuals
- Lecturer, Ordre des comptables professionnels agréés du Québec, 2013
- Lecturer, Level I In-depth Tax Course, CPA Canada, 2011
- Leadership Diploma, McGill University, 2010
- Levels I-III In-depth Tax Course, Corporate Reorganization, CPA Canada, 2003-2008
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA, CA), 2001
- Graduate Diploma in Accountancy, Concordia University, 2000
- B. Com, Accounting and Finance, Concordia University, 1998
Professional and community involvement
- Canadian Tax Foundation (CTF) – Member of the organizing committee for the estate planning conference, since 2017
- CPA Canada – Part I In-depth Taxation course Instructional leader, 2012
- CPA Canada – Common Final Examination Evaluator, 2001-2003
- Ordre des comptables professionnels agréés du Québec – Course leader, Corporate Taxation
- CPA Canada – Member
- Speaker. Estates & Trusts Practitioners’ Forum, November 2019
- Panelist. “Transition: Moving Capital.” BDC Capital, June 2019
- Guest Lecturer. “Financial Disruptors.“ JMSB – Fina 482 International Banking, March 2019
- Moderator. EO MTL with Epic Meal Time, October 2018
- Speaker. “Blockchain 101.“ TEC Emerging Enterprise CEO Group, August 2018
- Panelist. Hong Kong-Canada Business Association (HKCBA) Annual Conference, May 2018
- Panelist. “Blockchain | Cryptocurrency | Alternative Investing.” FFcon18, 2018 Fintech and Funding Conference, Toronto, March 2018.
- Speaker. “Cryptoboom.” Montreal International, Technical Seminar, February 2018.
- Speaker. “An introduction to the Crypto Space.” Canadian Bar Association, Technical Seminar, Montreal, January 2018.
- Speaker. “The New Trust Rules: More than just losing graduated rates”, Canadian Tax Foundation, Technical Seminar, February 2016.