Diligent, ambitious, witty.
Known for his dry wit but is serious when it comes to business and getting things done.
David Hogan goes all out to help clients to achieve their goals and empower his team to build their skills. He’s a big family man with an exceptional creativity and drive to create shareholder value through financial expertise and practical industry experience.
David’s focus is on international business and he excels in cross-border tax matters. He began his career as an economist at the Canadian central bank before entering public accounting as a tax consultant. David led Fujifilm Canada’s value improvement process with responsibilities for tax, finance and accounting, and marketing logistics before returning to public accounting as the Chief Economist – Transfer Pricing at a Big Four accounting firm in Canada.
David joined Richter in 2013 as Partner, Tax and Chief Economist and was appointed to Richter’s Board of Directors in January 2015. He is a frequent speaker on matters of cross-border taxation from a Canadian perspective, and served on Canada Revenue Agency’s Large Business Advisory Committee.
David helps clients enhance shareholder value through an integrated approach to tax, finance, and operations. He takes real satisfaction in creating tax efficient operations based on practical industry experience and strong economic fundaments.
David enjoys working with new partnerships and building the Richter brand in Toronto.
Fields of expertise
- International tax, supply chain and shareholder value improvement
- Tax planning
- Operational improvements
- Information technology
- Wholesale and retail trade
- Banking and investment funds
- Equipment manufacturing
- Canadian Securities Course
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA, CMA)
- Master of Arts (Economics), University of Toronto
Professional and community involvement
- Resolute Funds Ltd. – Chairman, Audit Committee and Director
- Canada Revenue Agency’s Large Business Advisory Committee – Member
- Tax Executives Institute – Member
- Supply Chain and Logistics Association of Canada – Treasurer and Director
- Toronto Environmental Film Festival – Treasurer and Director
- Quoted in “No Easy Answers in Canada’s Review of Transfer Pricing Rules”, Bloomberg Tax. April 2021.
- Quoted in “Cameco’s $368 Million Tax Fight to Examine Offshore Profits (1)”, Bloomberg Tax. November 2020.
- Co-author. “Foreign investors in Canadian real estate –don’t forget the transfer pricing!”, Espace Montréal. 2019.
- Co-author. “Cameco vs. CRA tax court case: with CRA’s appeal, uncertainty remains for MNEs”, Bloomberg BNA, Thompson Reuters Taxnet Pro. November, 2018.
- Quoted. Cameco Corporation v Her Majesty the Queen tax case. Commentary featured in The Globe and Mail, Financial Post, The Star, etc. October 2018.
- Co-author. “Cameco wins first decision in $2.2 billion dollar tax dispute”, Bloomberg BNA, Thompson Reuters Taxnet Pro. October 2018.
- Co-author. “The Precedent-Setting Cameco Case,” Bloomberg BNA. March 2018.
- Quoted in “A third of Canadians say the Bank of Canada’s plan to raise interest rates will hurt their finances,” Financial Post. August 2017.
- Panelist. “From Local to Global,” The Globe and Mail Small Business Summit, Toronto. May 2017.
- Co-Author. “2017 Ontario Budget Executive Summary,” Thomson Reuters TaxNet Pro. April 2017.
- Quoted in “Mushroom cloud parts,” Grant’s Interest Rate Observer. January 2017.
- Co-author. “Cameco Trial: Opening Remarks Raise Fundamental Issues in $2.2 B Case that could Transform Transfer Pricing,” Bloomberg BNA. December 2016.
- Quoted in “Cameco, CRA head to court over potential $2.2B tax dispute,” covered by CTV News, Global News, CBC. October, 2016.
- Author. “Richter Survey of Bank Forecasts: Foreign Exchange and Interest Rates,” Mondaq. September, 2016.
- Author. “Lessons from Canada’s Silver Wheaton Case: When Corporate Directors are Sued for Transfer Pricing Transgressions,” Tax Management Transfer Pricing Report, The Bureau of National Affairs, Inc. November 2015.
- Speaker. Transfer Pricing, “Colloque sur la fiscalité des grandes entreprises”, Canadian Tax Foundation (CTF). October, 2014.
- Author. “Should Your Small Business Accept Bitcoin?,” Toronto Star. April, 2014.
- Speaker. “Deciphering the Taxation of Crypto-currencies”, Bitcoin Expo. April, 2014.
- Author. “Thinking of expanding outside Canada? Four common tax myths you should understand,” Financial Post. March, 2014.
- Quoted in “For this economist, volatility is a friend,” The Globe and Mail. March, 2013.
- Speaker. “The CFO’s Perspective Moving Transfer Pricing Beyond Compliance to Enhance Operating Profits”, Canadian Association of Importers and Exporters. 2010.
- Speaker. “The Real Profits of Transfer Pricing”, Canadian Association of Importers and Exporters.
- Speaker. “Industry Challenges in Transfer Pricing”, Toronto, InfoNex. 2008.
- Speaker. “Annual Transfer Pricing Update”, Toronto, InfoNex. 2007.
- Speaker. “Cross-Border Tax & Transfer Pricing Update”, Toronto, Canadian Association of Importers and Exporters. 2006.
- Speaker. “Corporate Transfer Pricing Conference”, Chicago, Finance IQ. 2006.
- Speaker. “Valuation and Tax Practice Course”, Federated Press. 2006.
- Interviewed in the podcast “Companies Prep for Canadian Transfer Pricing Fights”, Bloomberg Tax. March 2022