Danny Ritter has led Richter Family Office since 2001. The approach he takes in advising families is unique in several ways. Danny assists families in gaining a better understanding of their investment objectives using different concepts of how a family might think about their return and risk requirements. His appreciation and insight as to the impact of investor psychology is critical in increasing the probability of achieving the family's investment objectives. The advice Danny provides is highly analytical, yet at the same time personal and accessible to families. It is also steeped in the philosophy of being independent and objective. The resulting portfolio construction is aligned solely based on the families' interests.
Danny has used his decades of experience through different market cycles to inform the selection of investment managers and solutions. Managers are recommended only after extensive understanding of their investment management processes and the determination that any particular manager's process to achieve their track record is defined and thereby potentially repeatable. Danny respects the value added through risk reduction via thoughtful asset diversification which may incorporate more niche and/or less liquid strategies. Investment solutions that respect capital by mitigating losses or that offer returns that are less correlated with mainstream asset classes are sought after with rigor and a healthy dose of skepticism.
As a Chartered Public Accountant and Certified Financial Analyst, he also ensures that the advice and investment solutions are evaluated from an after-tax perspective, which is often overlooked in portfolio construction.
Danny is regularly asked to speak at international investment conferences, referencing his extensive technical skills in all facets of portfolio management and his holistic understanding of family financial matters.
Fields of expertise
- Investment manager selection
- Asset allocation
- Portfolio construction
- Tax-sensitive strategies
- Negotiated access to niche investment opportunities
- Extensive exposure to alternative investment strategies
- CFA Charterholder, 2002
- Canadian Securities Course, (Honours, Award of Excellence for Exceptional Academic Achievement), 1999
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA, CA), 1996
- Graduate Diploma in Financial Accounting, McGill University, 1995
- B.Com, McGill University (Great Distinction, Dean’s Honour List), 1993
Professional and community involvement
- Save a Child’s Heart Canada, Board Member since 2015
- Richter LLP, Board Member since 2010
- Agence Ometz, Board Member since 2008
- McGill University Endowment, Investment Committee Member since 2008
- PME Fund, Funding Committee Member since 2008
- Jewish Community Foundation of Montreal (JCF), Board Member and Investment Committee Member since 2006
- CFA Institute (The Global Association of Investment Professionals), member since 2003
- Autorité des marchés financiers, Portfolio Manager since 2001