Experienced, solution-oriented, focused.
With her knowledge, dedication, extraordinary professionalism and people skills, Diane is an integral part of Richter. She is meticulous in her work, and gets annoyed by the sloppy use of language, hence her dislike of “and/or”, or using “etc.” at the end of a sentence.
Diane has more than 25 years of tax and estate planning experience, with a particular focus on estate settlement and Canada-U.S. cross-border taxation.
Diane is a leader advisor on Estate matters within the Tax division. Her expertise includes developing comprehensive estate plans for business families and providing strategic advice to trustees and estate liquidators and executors to ensure the successful transfer of property to beneficiaries from a multidisciplinary perspective. She is also actively involved in settling disputes with government revenue departments.
Diane speaks and lectures frequently on tax and estate topics for organizations such as the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) the Canadian Bar Association and the Association de planification fiscale et financière. Her most recent conferences have covered topics such as taxation on death, estate clearance certificates and post-mortem planning. She is also regularly called upon by the media to comment on tax and business issues, and when she does so, always manages to break down complex issues into manageable pieces.
Fields of expertise
- Estate planning and trusts
- Settlement of estates
- Real estate taxation
- Strategic advisory services
- Real estate
- Trust and Estate Practitioner (TEP), 2002
- Member of the Québec Bar, 1983
- B.A., Carleton University, 1983
- LL.B., Université de Montréal, 1982
Professional and community involvement
- Foundation of Greater Montreal – Member of the Board of Directors, since 2016
- Canadian Bar Association – Vice President, Branch (Québec), Wills, estates and trusts, since 2012; Member, since 1983
- Association de planification fiscale et financière (APFF) – Member of the Board of Directors, since 2009; Member, since 1986
- Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners, Montreal Branch – Member and former Executive Committee member, since 2002
- International Women’s Forum of Canada – Member and former treasurer, since 1996
- Batshaw Youth and Family Centres – Former president and member of the Board of Directors, 1992-2002
- Canadian Tax Foundation – Member and former governor and Executive Committee member, since 1986
- Quoted in an article by Matthew Elder. “Sold your home? The tax man wants to know,” Morningstar, August 2017.
- Quoted in an article by Isabelle Massé. “Métro, boulot… bien-être!,” La Presse (Affaires), p. 7, August 2012.
- Quoted in an article by Isabelle Massé. “Bien gérer un déménagement,” La Presse (Affaires), p. 7, August 2012.
- Quoted in an article by Allison Lampert. “Spaced out: The new workspace of fewer closed doors, less privacy and more lounging areas is reinventing the way people work – and it’s no longer a trend confined to the tech industry,” The Gazette, p. C1, August 2012.
- Speaker. “Mise à jour sur la vérification des fiducies,” lunch conference, APFF, 2012.
- Quoted. “Une fiducie en faveur de soi-même au lieu d’un mandat d’inaptitude,” Finance et investissement, December 2011.
- Speaker. “Technique du pipeline en planification post mortem,” annual convention, APFF, 2011.
- Speaker. “Liquidation de société post mortem – deux stratégies,” APFF symposium, 2011.
- Speaker. “Liquidation post mortem – stratégie ‘pipeline’,” APFF symposium, 2011.
- Speaker. “AV Rated for 10 years” award (1999-2009), LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell, 2010.
- Speaker. “L’analyse de la possibilité de faire des dons : un service additionnel pour vos clients,” APFF symposium, 2010.
- Speaker. “Comment réduire la facture fiscale grâce aux stratégies de dons,” APFF symposium, 2009.
- Speaker. “Aspects pratiques des techniques de don,” APFF symposium, 2008.
- Speaker. “Table ronde Revenu Québec,” APFF annual convention, 2008.
- “Income Attribution Update,” annual convention, Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners, 2008.
- Speaker. “Planification successorale impliquant des bénéficiaires non-résidents,” APFF symposium, 2007.
- Speaker. “Financement de l’acquisition,” Canadian Tax Foundation, Journée d’études fiscales, 2005.
- Speaker. “Planification en matière de roulement,” APFF annual convention, 2002.
- Speaker. “Fiducies en faveur du conjoint,” APFF symposium, 2002.
- Speaker. “Planification fiscale pour le propriétaire exploitant,” Canadian Tax Foundation, 2001-2002.