Expert, dedicated, witty.
Calm, business-oriented, and creative in his approach, Martin Gilbert says that working as closely as he does with clients combined with his experience as an in-house advisor has given him a refined and practical approach to communications and service excellence. This, along with his sense of humour, makes Martin a real pleasure to work with.
Martin has been practicing law in the commodity tax sector for nearly 20 years. Before joining Richter, he worked for a large telecommunications company and a major accounting firm. Martin provides consulting services and assist clients in planning transactions and managing tax audits, in particular for commodity taxes. He has acquired extensive tax audit experience and has been involved in a number of reorganization cases, working on major transactions including the purchase and sale of assets and due diligence work.
Martin has co-chaired the Tax Executives Institute’s (TEI) liaison committee in addition to being invited as a guest speaker for the Association de planification fiscale et financière (APFF), the TEI, the Canadian Tax Foundation as well as CPA Canada (formerly the CICA).
Fields of expertise
- Consulting services
- Mergers & acquisitions
- Tax audits
- Private health
- Real estate
- CPA Advanced HST/GST Financial Services Course, 2014
- CICA (now CPA Canada) PST In-Depth, 2005
- Sales & Use Tax School, Institute for Professionals in Taxation (IPT), 2003
- CICA (now CPA Canada) GST In-Depth, 1999
- Licence to practice law, Quebec Bar Association, 1996
- Quebec Bar Association professional training school, 1995
- Bachelor’s degree in law, Université Laval, 1994
Professional and community involvement
- Canadian Tax Foundation – Member of the planning committee
- Canadian Bar Association – Member
- Tax Executives Institute (TEI) – Member ; Co-chairman, Commodity Tax Liaison Committee
- Association de planification fiscale et financière (APFF) – Member
- Quebec Bar Association – Member
- Co-author. “Non-resident vendors: You may be required to register for GST/HST”, Thomson Reuters’ Taxnet Pro. February 2021
- Co-author. “Reminder: ITR restrictions for large businesses and others to be phased out,” Espace Montréal magazine, December 2018.
- Co-author. “Purchaser’s considerations and planning for the acquisition of a mixed-use commercial and residential property,” Espace Montréal magazine, June 2017
- Author. “Landlord/Tenant Workout Arrangements: Important GST/HST and QST Consequences,” Espace Montréal magazine, September 2015
- Co-author. “Nominee Corporations: Are you ready for January 1, 2015?”. Espace Montréal magazine, September 2014.