Detailed, passionate, committed.
Helpful, responsive, and a master at giving sound and practical advice, trusted advisor Stéphane Marcassa has more than 20 years’ experience in advising clients on the complex commodity taxes subject matter.
Stéphane supports his clients in all commodity tax aspects of their business, including assessment of business processes and operations, audit defense and tax litigation, mergers and acquisitions, due diligence and cross-border taxes. He also represents them before tax authorities for issues relating to GST, HST, QST, provincial and U.S. sales taxes, customs, fuel taxes, excise tax and other indirect taxes.
As part of the various mandates he leads, he is continuously guided by his clients’ interests and is committed to providing exceptional service adapted to the realities of the clients with whom he works. Before joining Richter in 2017 as partner, he practiced at a tax law firm and a Big Four accounting firm in Montreal.
Fields of expertise
- Commodity tax advisory services
- Planning and compliance
- Cross-border transactions
- Tax litigation
- Real estate
- Pharmaceutical and health sector
- Telecommunication and technology
- Public sector
- Financial services
- Graduate Diploma in Taxation, McGill University, 2001
- Bachelor of Law, Université de Montréal, 1992
Professional and community involvement
- Association de planification fiscale et financière (APFF) – Member and speaker
- Canadian Tax Foundation (CTF) – Member
- Canadian Bar Association – Member
- Author. “Upcoming changes for QST and PST”, Thomson Reuters Taxnet Pro, May 2019.
- Author. “Quebec’s approach to the challenges of the sharing economy and companies like Airbnb,” Espace Montréal magazine, 2018.
- Speaker. APFF commodity tax symposium, 2013-2017.
- Speaker. Commodity Tax Symposium, CPA Canada, 2016.
- Speaker. National conference hosted by the Tax Executives Institute, Inc., 2016.
- Speaker. Conference hosted by the Association of Corporate Counsel, 2016.
- Author. Articles published in the CCH Publications’ monthly newsletter, 2005-2015.