Olivier BenchayaPartner | CPA, CIRP, LIT
- Download V-Card
Determined, passionate, strategic.
With over 15 years’ experience, Olivier Benchaya is a partner in the Restructuring and Insolvency group of Richter. A true leader, he possesses a keen business sense and the ability to quickly identify the key issues that need to be addressed.
Olivier is excellent at understanding his clients’ needs and extremely adept at working with all stakeholders in order to find effective solutions. His roles include advising financial institutions on underperforming loans as well as working with business leaders in order to guide them through uncertain financial periods to ensure renewed prosperity and growth.
A young, dynamic, and committed partner, Olivier fosters collaboration and takes pride in helping businesses turn things around. He is often called upon to develop restructuring plans and financial projections and implement corrective actions. He has played a key role in a series of complex major restructuring projects, including the reorganization of a major retailer with multiple locations in Canada and the U.S. As a result of the team’s negotiations, analysis and restructuring, the retailer was able to weather this critical situation and move toward profitability.
A dedicated problem solver and consensus builder, this charismatic team player excels at finding strategic solutions for the long-term interest of all parties involved.
Fields of expertise
- Financial restructurings and business turnarounds
- Development and review of financial projections
- Sale of business units
- Debt and equity restructuring
- High technology
- Hospital sector
- Licensed Insolvency Trustee, 2014
- Chartered Insolvency and Restructuring Professional (CIRP), 2014
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA, CA), 2005
- Graduate Diploma in Accounting, John Molson School of Business, 2005
- B.Com. with distinction, John Molson School of Business, 2003
Professional and community involvement
- Canadian Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Professionals – Member, since 2011
- Quoted in an article by David Friend. “Companies already in financial trouble face CCAA reckoning as COVID-19 drags on”, The Canadian Press. May 2020
- Quoted in an article by Tara Deschamps. “Commercial landlords brace for worst month yet as tenants struggle”, BNN Bloomberg. April 2020
- Interviewed by Claude Bernatchez. “Louis Garneau à l’abri de ses créanciers : entrevue avec Olivier Benchaya ”, ICI Première, Radio-Canada. March 2020
- Quoted in an article by Marie-Ève Fournier. “Les décisions qui ont fait dérailler stokes”, La Presse. February 2020
- Court-appointed Trustee of Mabe Canada, one of the largest manufacturer of appliances.
- Financial advisor to a luxury goods retailer with operations in Canada and the USA under various banners to renegotiate their banking agreements, raise additional working capital and improve profitability through overhead rationalization.
- Court-appointed Trustee of Uniformes Sauvé Inc. and Maison de Vêtements Piacenté Ltée, one of the largest school uniform suppliers in Canada.
- Financial advisor to Laura Shoppe, a large Canadian women’s retailer that was under CCAA.
- CCAA Monitor for Boutique Pentagone Inc., a large Quebec retailer that was restructured and sold as a going concern.
- Financial advisor to the Lender of a major leader in home fashion and design.
- Court appointed monitor on Stokes, a large Canadian retailer under CCAA.
- Court appointed Information Officer of Skillsoft Canada Ltd., under section 11.02 and part IV of the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act.
- Financial advisor to a large retailer that was impacted by COVID-19, to assist in lease negotiations and the implementation of cost cutting measures.
- Trustee of Okaidi Canada, a known European brand of children’s clothing with retail locations in Canada.