Jacinthe Marquis is a Vice-President in our team specializing in U.S. taxation. Jacinthe’s practice is devoted to individuals and their families, including trusts and estates. Her responsibilities include cross-border personal, estate and post-mortem planning, as well as compliance with U.S. federal and state tax filing obligations.
Before joining Richter’s Tax division in 2012, Jacinthe spent close to 10 years servicing private clients in the Canadian and cross-border tax practices of a large Montréal firm.
Jacinthe is a regular guest speaker and training provider to professional services firms, financial institutions and client groups, focusing on the tax considerations associated with living, doing business and owning property across the U.S. border.
Fields of expertise
- U.S. personal, trust and estate income tax
- U.S. estate tax
- Cross-border personal, estate and post-mortem planning
- Family tax planning
- Focus on the family
Professional and community involvement
- Swiss–Canadian Chamber of Commerce (QC) (SCCCQ) - Member Since 2016
- Chambre de commerce Québec-Floride (CCQF) - Member and guest speaker Since 2014
- American Chamber of Commerce (AmCham) - Member and guest speaker Since 2014
- Association de planification fiscale et financière (APFF) - Member and guest speaker Since 2003
- Master’s degree in law, specializing in tax (LL. M. Tax), HEC Montréal, 2003
- B.Com., McGill University, 2002 (Honours in Accounting program)
- Recipient of scholarships for academic excellence in each year of study in the undergraduate and graduate programs
- Recipient of the Greer Prize for the 2000-2001 academic year as well as the SB/D&T Award for 1999-2000
- Dean’s Honour List Student for all of her years of study
- Speaker, Law Firm – Conference on estate, trust and corporate planning involving U.S. residents, co-presenter with Robert Chayer, Montréal, May 2016.
- Speaker, American Chamber of Commerce (AmCham) – Conference on U.S. tax issues for people working in the U.S., co-presenter with Me Andrew Cumming (Cumming & Partners), Toronto, March 2016.
- Speaker, Canadian Bar Association (CBA) – Conference on estate planning involving U.S. residents, co-presenter with Robert Chayer, Montréal, January 2016.
- Interview by L’Actualité for an article on the taxation of international inheritances, November 2015.
- Speaker, American Chamber of Commerce (AmCham) –
Opening remarks at the Thanksgiving dinner before the Honorable Bruce A. Heyman, U.S. Ambassador to Canada, Toronto, November 2015.
- Submission to the U.S. National Taxpayer Advocate regarding technical issues and prejudices caused by the Passive Foreign Investment Company (PFIC) rules, September 2015.
- Speaker, Chambre de commerce Québec–Floride (CCQF) – Conference on tax aspects of real estate in Florida, co-presenter with Robert Chayer, Montréal, November 2014.
- Speaker, National Bank of Canada – Two conferences covering U.S. tax issues of interest to snowbirds, Fort Lauderdale, January 2014.
- Speaker, Association de planification fiscale et financière (APFF) – Conference on the acquisition of real estate in the U.S., co-presenter with Robert Chayer, Laval, November 2013.
- Speaker, National Bank of Canada (existing and potential clients) – Two presentations addressing the tax issues inherent in acquiring a Florida residence, Brossard, September 2013.
- Speaker, Association de planification fiscale et financière (APFF) – Conference on U.S. reporting obligations and estate taxes, co-presenter with Robert Chayer, Sherbrooke, January 2013.
- Speaker, Montréal financial services firm – U.S. tax seminar given to consultants and executives, co-presenter with Robert Chayer, Montréal, November 2012.
- 30-minute radio interview with Robert Chayer addressing various topical U.S. tax-related issues, Radio Shalom CJRS Montréal, Money and Business, November 2012.
- Speaker, RBC Wealth Management (existing and potential clients) – Presentation on current U.S. tax issues, co-presenter with Robert Chayer, Montréal, October 2012.