Thoughtful, dynamic, resourceful.
Alana works closely with corporate executives, business owners and their families, as well as the broader legal community in the areas of business valuation and dispute advisory.
Alana has been involved in the financial aspects of many significant disputes acting as an advisor or independent expert. She has valued mid-to-large-sized private companies in the context of a transition planning and transactions. She has also supported many entrepreneurs and families through the creation or modification of ownership arrangements, compensation plans for key executives as well as sensitive shareholder matters including dispute resolution, governance changes and succession planning.
Her thoughtful and empathetic style goes beyond the numbers ensuring the concerns of all stakeholders are understood and addressed. She is practical and methodical in her approach to problem-solving and prides herself on being creative and collaborative.
Alana is originally from Toronto and currently resides in Montreal, working actively in both cities. Outside the office – she is a doting mother of four young boys and enjoys contributing meaningfully to community life. She is passionately involved in causes concerning children’s health and diversity & inclusion. She is an active member of the Chartered Business Valuation community.
Fields of expertise
- Business valuation
- Shareholder disputes and commercial litigation
- Ownership agreements
- Employee incentives
- Business transition and succession
- Quantification of damages
- Consumer Products
- Real Estate
- Manufacturing and Distribution
- American Institute of CPAs, Certified in Financial Forensics, 2014
- Canadian Institute of Chartered Business Valuators (CICBV), 2012
- Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario, 2006
- Graduate Diploma in Accountancy, McGill University, 2006
- Honours B.Com, McGill University, 2004
Professional and community involvement
- Canadian Institute of Chartered Business Valuators (CICBV) – Various speaking engagements/articles, since 2019; Montreal Workshop Committee Member, since 2013; Recipient of the Scholastic Achievement Award, 2012
- Habilitas Foundation (formely Montreal Association for the Blind Mackay Foundation) – Member of the Board of Directors, since 2018; Member of the Outreach Committee, since 2018; Philanthropy Committee member, 2016-2018
- Israel Cancer Research Fund, Women of Action – Co-Chair, since 2017
- The Montreal Children’s Hospital – Stroll for Kids (raised ~$1M for the Hospital) – Co-Founder and Committee Member, since 2015
- Federation CJA: Chamber of Commerce – Event Co-Chair, 2015; Leadership Development Program participant, 2013-2014
- The Climate Reality Project – Treasurer to the Board, 2011-2014
Public recognition – Recent and upcoming articles and presentations
- Author, Business Valuation Journal: “Repricing Risk: Valuation and Damages During the Times of COVID-19”, Fall 2020
- Panelist, Family Dispute Resolution Institute of Ontario Workshop: “A New Financial World – Post Covid Financial Topics’’, November 2020
- Moderator, Business Transitions Forum Workshop: “Valuations of Yesterday and Tomorrow – How Will 2020 Value Drivers
be Different in the Post COVID World”, October 2020
- Co-Author and Presenter of CBV Workshop: “Repricing Risk: Valuation and Damages During COVID-19”, June 2020
- Contributing author of CBV Workshop: “Fair Market Value of Minority Interest in Real Estate”, November 2019
- Co-Author and Presenter of CBV Workshop: “Litigation Support Practices”, September 2019