Discreet, diligent, intellectually curious.
Danny Ritter believes that the financial wellbeing of a family is less about which securities are owned but rather that the overall portfolio approach taken is thoughtful and relevant. A thoughtful approach means ensuring the various existing family assets come together to provide a truly unique return stream. A relevant approach means ensuring that the resulting portfolio ultimately meets the investment needs and objectives of the family.
Danny was the pioneer in building a truly independent multi-family office that has since grown to be one of Canada’s oldest and largest multi-family offices. Danny offers an integrated holistic approach to portfolio construction. Since the founding of Richter Family Office in 2001, Danny has been a trusted, reliable confidante and advisor to families he works with and for whom he cares deeply. Through his methodical discovery process using various tools, Danny helps families build a framework around portfolio construction that can serve as a roadmap for future reference for the family and their heirs.
Danny takes on the role of family fiduciary as a fundamental priority. He ensures his clients’ interests are always at the forefront, and that the vetting of traditional and alternative investment solutions is done with intense rigour, while keeping after-tax returns in mind.
*Richter Family Office is a registered trade name. The Richter Family Office group is comprised of Richter LLP and its subsidiary,
RFO Capital Inc., a registered portfolio manager. Richter LLP is an independent firm that provides family office, accounting, tax and business consulting services, with wealth, investment advisory, portfolio management and consolidated wealth reporting services provided via RFO Capital Inc.
Fields of expertise
- Investment manager selection
- Asset allocation
- Portfolio construction
- Investor psychology
- Integration of income and estate tax considerations
- Extensive exposure and understanding of alternative investment strategies
- Negotiated access and fees to traditional and niche investment opportunities
- Will review and estate planning
- Family Office governance
- Philanthropic planning
- CFA Charterholder, 2002
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA, CA), 1996
- Graduate Diploma in Financial Accounting, McGill University, 1995
- B.Com, McGill University (Great Distinction, Dean’s Honour List), 1993
Professional and community involvement
- Save a Child’s Heart Canada (SACH) – Vice-Chair of the Board, since July 2021
- Member of the Advisory Board of KingSett Canadian Real Estate Income Find LP (CREIF), since August 2020
- Jewish Community Foundation of Montreal (JCF) – President, Executive Board Member and Investment Committee Member, since 2019
- Auctus Property Fund Limited Partnership – Board Member, since 2015
- Save a Child’s Heart Canada (SACH) – Board Member, since 2015
- Richter LLP – Board Member, since 2010
- McGill University Endowment – Investment Committee Member, 2008-2017
- PME Fund – Funding Committee Member, since 2008
- Jewish Community Foundation of Montreal (JCF) – Treasurer, Executive Board Member and Investment Committee Member, 2006-2019
- Portfolio Manager in Ontario, Quebec, Alberta and British Columbia
- Quoted in “Richter: A Montreal Institution – 95 Years in the Making’”, The Montrealer, December 2021.
- Quoted in “Family offices: ‘We don’t need to chase growth’”, Canadian Family Offices, October 2021.
- Quoted in “Too much or not enough? Five philanthropy execs on proposed rule change”, Canadian Family Offices, October 2021.
- Quoted in “What a philanthropic advisor should (and shouldn’t) do”, Canadian Family Offices, August 2021.
- Quoted in “Family offices step up to help with complex, private and worrisome health issues”, Canadian Family Offices, July 2021.
Estate and Tax Planning to Protect your Legacy
Integrating your tax structuring is crucial for all ultra-high-net-worth families. This includes will planning, the use of trust, estate planning, and investment structure optimization — all of which maximizes tax efficiencies and minimizes the burden on you and the next generations.
Creating And Managing Your Wealth
Since inception, we have been driven by independence and objectivity. We are not beholden to one investment solution or limited by the number of investment opportunities available to us.
Navigating Family Dynamics – Governance
With great wealth comes great responsibilities towards the community, family members and generations to follow. Developing clear governance systems ensures family harmony and, ultimately, intergenerational success.
Giving Back To The Community – Philanthropy
Charitable giving is often an expression of your core values; it represents you and your legacy to the community. It can also be a family project that brings the next generation into the fold in a meaningful way.
Keeping Your Family Safe
Life insurance can be an investment for families to provide liquidity at death or for philanthropic objectives. We help you evaluate if life insurance can meet objectives.
Preparing Your Next Generation – Financial Literacy Program
Richter’s Financial Literacy program is a customizable way to educate family members around key areas of family wealth and business management.