Business advisory, crisis management & restructuring
Every organization is faced with challenges that can make them vulnerable to crises. When a potential risk becomes a real risk, a company and its stakeholders, with varying motivations and interests, often need to navigate a complex web of decisions. It’s a delicate process that requires clear and objective decision-making by a brand that is trusted in the marketplace.
A crisis is an unexpected and disruptive event that financially impacts not only a company but its stakeholders, including its board of directors, lenders, suppliers and employees, among others. Situations can range from readily identifiable risks such as the loss of a major customer or the impact of litigation, to unforeseen risks such as the impact of global market events or changes in regulations.
Richter has 90+ years of trusted experience in responding to virtually every type of situation. Designing strategies to deal with a sudden and significant event is our expertise. Richter works side by side with companies and stakeholders to assist them in preparing for potential drastic changes in business, helping them navigate the road ahead.
We’ve applied our decades of experience and a tailored, proven process to lead companies through some of Canada’s most significant crisis events and restructurings.
Whatever business challenge or crisis you are facing, we’re in it together. And together, we’ll create the solution. Scenarios that Richter has assisted in include:
- Acting as a restructuring advisor to a company and/or a board of directors in their discussions with lenders or other key stakeholders
- Acting as Monitor, Trustee or Receiver in formal, court-supervised restructurings
- Advising lenders and working with companies on implementing out-of-court restructuring initiatives
- Performing in-depth financial analyses, including cash flow modeling, short- and long-term business plans, to guide companies and their stakeholders to the right solution
- Acting as an objective third party in a shareholder dispute and leading the parties to a solution that benefits the company and its stakeholders
- Advising regulatory authorities in their investigation and compliance functions, or supporting and advising companies being investigated by regulatory authorities
- Helping companies and boards understand of directors understand their preparedness for a crisis event and helping them design strategies and responses in the event that such a crisis was to unfold
- Leading sales and/or investor solicitation processes for companies looking to divest of non-core assets
- Advising strategics, private equity and hedge funds on distressed M&A
- Acting as an expert witness
Meet our expertsThe people behind the expertise.
Daniel TannenbaumCPA, CA
Eric BarbieriCPA, CA, CTP, CIRP, LIT
Gilles BenchayaCPA, CA, CIRP, LIT, CTP
Howard GrossCPA, CA, CBV
Julien FinucanCPA, CA, CTA, CFE
Matthew GoldsmithCPA, CFE
Michael PrinskyCPA, CA
Warren LevineCPA, CA, MBA
Adam ShermanMBA, CIRP, LIT
Duncan LauCPA, CMA, CIRP
Katherine ForbesCPA, CA, CPA (Illinois), CIRP, LIT
Paul van EykCPA, CA-IFA, CIRP, LIT, Fellow of INSOL
Pritesh PatelMBA, CFA, CIRP, LIT
Andrew AdesskyCPA, CA, MBA, CIRP, LIT
Benoît GinguesCPA, CA, CIRP, LIT
Gilles RobillardCPA, CA, CIRP, LIT
Mirella PisciuneriCPA, CA
Olivier BenchayaCPA, CA, CIRP, LIT
Food for thoughtWhat’s in the news & what you need to know.
Canadian Foundry and Casting Industry – Trade war or not, innovation is key.
Our team has worked with Canadian foundry and casting companies on various restructuring initiatives from restructuring sales agreements with major customers, revisiting cost structures and supply agreements with key suppliers and creditors, to helping restructure balance sheets with major lenders or other key stakeholders. We’ve seen ups and downs in the industry, and have helped […]Click to read more.
Distress signs lenders should watch for as loan delinquencies rise.
Automotive Industry The automotive sector showed signs of difficulty in 2015 which continued into 2016. With loan delinquencies climbing, loan/portfolio performance risks are increasing for dealers, securitizers, and lenders in the industry. The risks to stakeholders offering auto financing have been mounting for years, as evidenced by Moody’s rating downgrade of Scotiabank in early 2016; […]Click to read more.
Allegations of Fraud: Work Fast! The First 48 Hours Are Crucial!.
October 2016 By: Guy St-Georges, CPA, CA, CFF, CFE Sophie Caudiu, CPA auditor, CGA, Principal, Enterprise Group Did you know that when your company finds itself the victim of fraud, the measures implemented within the first 48 hours are essential in properly managing the crisis? Let’s say that you are the president of a company and […]Click to read more.
A holistic approachfocused on you
Whether for business or personal; with one challenge or our full suite of services, Richter’s approach is always strategic, insightful and all-encompassing. Guided by our values and rooted in trust, we’ve helped clients thrive for over 90 years.